Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Knitting and Scarves!

A little off the topic of fitness and being healthy, but some change is good in life :)

I have noticed that a few of my Facebook/Twitter/Cyber friends have been knitting and I just recently picked it back up. I learned a long time ago from one of my favorite cousins who taught my sister and me how to knit when we were back in high school. My sister has excelled in knitting and I have to say, she knits some pretty awesome items! Me on the other hand, well, let's just say that the last scarf I finished, I started with 15 stitches and somehow ended up with 22 at the end. And to clarify, it was a chenille yarn, and very expensive.

I recently finished a basic knit scarf (the red one at the end) and am almost finished with the blue one that is shown above. I'll post a picture once it's all finished. So far, it's taken me about 5 hours to get as far as I have on this blue scarf. I've been watching some Lord of the Rings movies while knitting and it really makes the time pass by quickly. I'm hoping that by the end of Return of the King I am all finished and have started on the next scarf. Then it will be another Harry Potter marathon and hope I finish that scarf by the last movie :)

For my next scarf I am going to do a pattern, a difficult pattern for someone who has never done patterns before. I came across it on Babetta's website under the free patterns section located here, and is the "Sinsation Reversable Cabled Scarf". It's for George, my roommate, who said he wanted a black scarf. I've never done any kind of pattern before and can barely purl, so you can imagine how nervous I am about this scarf.

If you are thinking about learning how to knit, I have some pointers for you...

Buy some cheap yarn for your first couple of projects. If you mess up, it's no big deal. I made that mistake with some wonderfully soft yarn that cost an arm and a leg and ended up botching the scarf. I'll still wear it but it is no longer gift-able which is what I had intended to make it for.

Watch some youtube videos. Reading about how to knit only goes so far. Actually seeing someone do it is such a great tool. Here are some great videos to watch...How To Knit, How To Purl, How To Add Stitches, How to Drop Stitches, How to Weave in Loose Ends

Pick a good yarn. For your first couple of projects I would suggest getting a basic yarn. Nothing that is going to be too slippery, such as chenille, and nothing that is super fuzzy.

Practice practice practice! The more you do it, the better at it you will get!

Check out my Etsy store with my scarves...SaraMarieCreations


6 comments:

  1. I'm learning to knit now! :) I think I'm starting to get how to do rows, but I struggle with starting a new row. Hopefully I'll get good enough to open an Etsy shop one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too used to knit but have just recently started again. Love the scarf!! I'm participating in the “Week-End Blog Hop” and I’m now the newest GFC follower of your great site. Hope you have a chance to check out my blog, have a look around and maybe follow me back!!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower from the Blog Hop. I think your blog is cute & I look forward to reading more of your posts. Come check out my blog! I would really appreciate it if you followed me back too! Thank you.
    http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did crochet for a little while. Knitting seemed harder for me but I think knitted scarves are so stylish especially in my neck of the woods when you need a scarf for several months out of the year, having a stylish knitted one would be fun.

    I am following you from the Weekend Blog Hop! Have a great Sunday!

    Heather From and Mommy Only Has Two Hands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your comments and follows! This blog hop is so much fun and is such a great way to spread the word :)

    I hope my youtube links help you out katie :) I had a hard time when I first started to knit but after some practice it gets a ton easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! The youtube videos are helping, (along with my knitting teacher's advice. :) )

    ReplyDelete