Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Blizzcon 2010 and Blizzcon 2011

I don't really have anything interesting to post this week so I thought I would write a little something about our trip last year to Blizzcon. We were unable to sell our remaining ticket this year so we bought another super cheap one and are going to go, and hopefully take one more day than we did last year because driving home was exhausting!

I'll start from the very beginning. Tickets went on sale in May (for both years) and literally sold out within an hour. Last year we got tickets on the first day of ticket sales and booked our hotel and everything. Neither Jeremy nor I had ever gone before and were stoked to be able to go. Our plan was to drive down with our two other friends on the Thursday prior to the Blizzcon event and head back on Sunday morning. We were sharing a hotel room with these same two friends (Jordan and Rob) so it made sense to carpool. But they decided they wanted to stay a little bit longer than we were planning so we ended up taking two cars, which worked out since Jeremy and I picked up another friend from the airport.
Blizzcon 2010, Blizzcon, Anaheim Convention Center










 The Grapevine - Almost there!!


Thursday morning Jeremy and I got all ready to go, printed out our Blizzcon Survival Guide got some errands done, bought some snacks and hit the road. The drive from our place in Sac to Anaheim is only about 6.5 hours, if you don't hit traffic. I really enjoy driving so I drove the whole way down while Jeremy snoozed and what do you know, we hit traffic! It could have been bad except that our friend Dennis', who we were picking up from the airport, plane got delayed so we arrived at the airport at the perfect time. Total it took us around 8 hours. Then we went to the hotel, unwound for a little bit and headed out to Downtown Disney for some yummy food at the Rain Forest Cafe.

Blizzcon 2010, Blizzcon, Anaheim Convention Center

Jeremy and Me at the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney

When we were finished eating we walked over to the convention center to pick up our swag bags. Unfortunately there wasn’t really a whole lot to be excited about in the swag bag. Everyone got a demo version of Starcraft (good thing I had already bought the full version eh?), a Blizzcon Authenticator (I have a free one on my phone so don’t need that either…), a code to redeem a pet for the World of Warcraft and a portrait for Starcraft (that’s really the only thing I was excited about, but I still haven’t redeemed the codes), and figurine of Deathwing which I guess looked pretty cool, and that was it, aside from coupons for different computer companies. I’m hoping this year’s swag bag has a lot more goodies in it than last years (Diablo beta key please!).

We were all pretty pooped from driving and travelling all day and called it an early night.
Blizzcon 2010, Blizzcon, Anaheim Convention Center


The next morning we got up to go stand in line to get into Blizzcon. We met up with some friends who we play video games with online and waited rather impatiently for the doors to open. Once the doors finally opened it was like a mad rush to be the first people to get inside and it was pretty funny, I wish I had a video camera to video the massive wave of nerds/overweight/costumed people sprinting for the door as if it was their dying wish to get inside before everyone else.
 Blizzcon 2010, Blizzcon, Anaheim Convention Center
Blizzcon 2010, Blizzcon, Anaheim Convention CenterWaiting for the doors to open


Once inside it was definitely worth the wait, and now I understand why everyone wanted to get in there so quickly. I’ve never seen anything like it to be honest and this year I will definitely be photo-documenting more of it than I did last year. There were “stations” where you could play demos of Diablo, WoW Cataclysm, and Starcraft and those stations were literally rows and rows of top notch gaming computers. I would guess at least 500 computers throughout the event set up for everyone to play. There were also different booths you can go to and get free stuff, participate in “quests”, etc. Rob would have won a custom painted gaming case for his computer if he had been a bit quicker to the front of the HUGE crowd when his number was called, but he must have been riding the turtle mount because they passed him over.

Blizzcon 2010, Blizzcon, Anaheim Convention Center
 Blizzcon 2010, Blizzcon, Anaheim Convention Center


The Blizzard store inside the event was stocked with tons of goodies but the wait was very very long. There were also statues throughout the venue of different characters in each of the Blizzard games and they were created with so much detail it was uncanny.

Some of the booths had raffles or contests to participate in and the prizes were pretty cool. Some of them included an Ipad, brand new graphics card, computer cases, headsets, gaming keyboards and other accessories, etc. This year we are going to hit up all the booths on the first day rather than waiting until the second day. The second day there were lines so long that it would have taken us hours just to get to the front, and by then all of the goodies were gone anyway!
Blizzcon 2010, Blizzcon, Anaheim Convention Center


Jeremy almost won an Ipad but the guy in front of us got it, after farting on us for half an hour in line. They were stinky farts, too. Jeremy was pretty peeved!

We watched a lot of the WoW Arena Tournament (go Sota!) and some of the Starcraft Tournament. These people can play! They are so fast and have such quick reaction times it’s ridiculous. Very exciting. There is also an area to watch the live raids. We didn’t watch any of that but I had heard that they were pretty cool. The top world guilds in WoW were doing the live raids and those guys/gals are pretty spectacular.

Tenacious D played at the closing ceremonies on Saturday evening. We had crummy seats and couldn’t really see them that well but the music was pretty good. I’m anxious to see who ends up playing this year and hopefully we can get some closer seats this time.
Blizzcon 2010, Blizzcon, Anaheim Convention Center
 Can't see anything from way back here!

Saturday night we went to the Hilton and partied with all of the other nerds. We went to Dave and Busters too but that wasn’t really fun and kind of a waste of money. Better to just buy some tequila and head over to the parties.
Blizzcon 2010, Blizzcon, Anaheim Convention Center

We ended up driving home on Sunday which I think was not a good idea. We were hungover, exhausted, and just worn the fuck out from the whole weekend. I’m hoping that we can stay an extra day and go to Disneyland and California Adventures on Sunday J

19 comments:

  1. New follower from Get Wired Wednesday. Enjoy the day!
    Debbie from nofiltermom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! love the blog, im your newest follower from the blog hop :) Stop by sometime :)

    Sabrina
    Sabrinassillys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I foresee any costuming in your future?
    Everyone I know who goes to any convention of this sort has costumes better than the "professionals."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by and following my blog! I've enjoyed reading yours and will be back to read more!
    You have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha @ dogsmom! I don't think I will be costuming. I would have had to start it last year in October at least for it to be even close to as detailed and "perfect" as I would want it haha. Some of the people who go spend so much time on their costumes I wouldn't want to show a half-assed attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this, but love the photos you provided!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a fun trip! Thanks for following at Everything Beautiful - following back

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for following...awesome blog...following back..and yes I thank God my son is ok...but I am still a wreck..mother's worst fears....they stink....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Im your new follower from the hop. I would love if you could hop over to http://www.girltechdivas.com and follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm from San Francisco, CA! I'm following from Where Are You Wednesday hop. Come visit me back!

    Michelle @ Things Sent My Way

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by Nifty Mom! I am a new follower and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always wondered about these game tournaments for my son, he is a game addict. Very good at it, but not much else. :-) Looks like a lot of fun, except for the stinky farts, gross huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI there! I just wanted to drop by and say that I am your newest follower via the blog hop :) It would be great for a follow back! Have a blessed day, Meg <>< http://agemmoment.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Visiting from Wobbling Over Wednesday! I would love for you to check out my blog at http://www.winforfun.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Found you through the wed blog hop - please check out my blog at www.fourlittlemonsters.com and follow me back! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I already follow just thought I would stop by and say hello and get caught up on some of your posts. I have no idea what these games are but it did look like fun. The pictures were really good. I think it is always better the second time you do something like this...you know what to expect.
    Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! Sounds like a lot of fun packed into that amount of time! Hope you have fun this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Just stopping by. Liking you from the Get Wired Wednesday Blog Hop. Would love a like back! https://www.facebook.com/flightlessgoose

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome blog! And I'm jealous. ;)

    New follower from the blog hop! I'm new to blogging as well, so please visit my page! http://starrsavings.blogspot.com or find me on Facebbok at http://facebook.com/starrsavings

    ReplyDelete