Monday, June 20, 2011

Chapter 2 Party (Retirement Party) – Part 1

This is going to take a while to write about this weekend because so much happened and it was so enjoyable! This will probably be comprised of a couple of different posts throughout this week with pictures and videos (if I can figure out how to get the videos onto my computer) and some excellent music :)

Starting from the beginning, my mom and dad decided that this year they are both going to retire from their jobs (each worked about 30 years at their jobs). They are both pretty young to be retiring (mid 50’s) but they planned extremely well and are very smart with their money and savings (great examples for me and my brother and sister). Of course they couldn’t retire without a huge blowout party and of course since they are so young they felt like it shouldn’t be called a retirement party and instead deemed it Chapter 2.
Party, Retirement Party
Setting up before the party
Backyard where the party was held
The audience seating :)
More tables for the guests

 My brother, Tim, was asked to have the band he plays in, Lime Colony, play at the party for the beginning and my dad asked Eef Barzelay of Clem Snide (said “like beef without the b” according to Eef) to come out to California and play at the party as well. My parents and Tim are loyal fans of Clem Snide and got me into their music too, although I still am partial to Incubus :)

Saturday rolls around and I head over to my parents house a bit early to help set up. The weather was **perfect** and it really could not have been a better day in California. The wind was blowing a bit while we were putting the table cloths on but once the party started it died down and turned into a very beautiful evening.




About 120ish people showed up throughout the night and it was catered by the Buckhorn Grill (if you are ever in Northern California you have to go here!). Since my family likes to drink, and many of my parents’ friends also like to have a good glass of wine, they rented a Mr. Margarita Machine, bought boxes of red wine and white wine, and had a few coolers of beer stocked with Sierra Nevada and Corona. I drank a little bit of everything, which contributed to my epic hangover on Sunday, but I have to say the margaritas were outstanding.
Sisters (my cousins) Liz, her husband Jerry, Angela and Michelle
Some of the guests (that's me in the purple)


Two of my aunts Cynthia and Penny

Eef arrived a little bit before the party started and was not at all how I expected (in a good way)! Not only is he a superb musician but he’s also very nice and fun to have a conversation with. He has so many stories of his travels in places like Spain and throughout the US and it is just so interesting to hear about some of the stories behind the songs he writes. (In my drunken haze I asked him if he had been to the “mountain in Spain that is really tall and hard to climb” and the next day realized it is called Montserrat and felt like a huge idiot, hopefully he didn't notice). He also talked a little bit about his family and really just made me want to clone him so that we could have him around all the time (in a non-creepy way)! When he took the stage I was so impressed. His presence was so captivating and most of the attendees took seats or stood around the stage area to listen to him (I say stage but it really was just a rug and a bunch of music equipment in front of the pool, but it looked really cool). I don’t think he hit a single wrong note or had any pitch problems at all and he definitely didn’t lipsync, which is so refreshing.
Eef Barzelay, Clem Snide
My mom and Eef Barzelay

Eef Barzelay, Clem Snide
Eef Barzelay playing

It was just him and his guitar until the amp decided to die and then Tim and the band convinced Eef to let them play one of Clem Snide’s songs and have Eef sing along. That was really cool since Tim and Earl (singer and composer along with Tim in Lime Colony) are big fans of Eef. They also tried to cover Journey and while it didn’t sound awful, it wasn’t exactly their best performance of the evening.Tim's girlfriend Heidi and I are hoping to convince Lime Colony to cover a Britney Spears song haha!
Tim Garcia, Earl Kramer, Lime Colony
Tim and Earl of Lime Colony

Eef Barzelay, Clem Snide, Lime Colony, Tim Garcia, Earl Kramer
Eef Barzelay and Lime Colony (sorry about the beam Earl)
Eef Barzelay, Clem Snide, Lime Colony, Tim Garcia, Earl Kramer
Eef Barzelay and Lime Colony


Eef Barzelay, Clem Snide, Lime Colony, Tim Garcia, Earl Kramer
Eef Barzelay and Tim Garcia
Eef Barzelay, Clem Snide, Lime Colony, Tim Garcia, Earl Kramer
Eef Barzelay and Lime Colony again :)


I'll post some more highlights of the weekend tomorrow along with more pictures and hopefully a few videos of Eef and Lime Colony. Sorry if this was picture and text overload. It was just so fun!!

27 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by Hobbies on a Budget! www.facebook.com/hobbiesonabudget

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...looks like a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. It looks like it was a fab shin-dig! Stumbled. Mine's at http://www.cookiesandclogs.com/homeschooling-101 Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like your having great time. Congrats to your parents for their early retirement. They can now enjoy more of their time...

    I stumbled you, my post is http://www.lifeascending.info/how-microworkers-work/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stumbled back, my post for my other blog is http://eytozee.blogspot.com/2011/05/tubular-box.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm following your blog back from Alexa Blog Hop Please Follow me back Evoluchun's Miscellaneous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a busy day! I stumbled your post. This is mine: http://www.confessionsofanover-workedmom.com/2011/06/check-out-stylish-eco-friendly-products.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like an amazing party! I am a new follower from the FMBT! Check out my blog if you get a chance and follow:)
    http://onewomanjuggler.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sure looks like it was a fun party! Live music is amazing. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like a beautiful party happy for your parents and their new journey new follower from tag tuesday

    http://melblackwell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. New follower from Follow Me Back Tuesday!

    http://practicalfrugality.blogspot.com/2011/06/follow-me-back-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found you through Busy Mom's Tips and I'm following you through GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping by from the Alexa hop. Have a good day!

    http://www.meldreamsoften.com/2011/06/knitting-in-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, everything looks great! Following you from get wired!
    http://mental-health-issues-madison.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful start to their new life! I can't wait until I'm there too :-)

    Thanks for joining the Tuesday Train!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my that looked like a great party!

    Following you from mommy only has 2 hands hope you come on over sometimes!
    Leontien
    www.fourleafcloverdairy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sara just returning the love after you joined my blog hop last week. I have been really busy and haven't had a chance to called by until today as I have been redoing my blog and changing the name. Be sure to check out
    my new design.
    http://acceptandembraceautism.blogspot.com/ Sarah

    www.acceptandembraceautism.blogspot.com Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  18. Following you back from the Alexa Hop! Thank you so much for stopping by! :D Shopaholic Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Following you from Accepting and Embracing Autism blog hop.

    http://hsvihl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! Stopping by to Stumble from STT (I'm a little behind LOL).

    It looks like a super fun party! The painted terra cotta pots are a nice touch!

    My post is http://www.mamamommymom.com/2011/06/rosemary-pork-heaven.html

    Jamie @ Mama.Mommy.Mom.
    www.mamamommymom.com
    www.twitter.com/mamamommymom
    www.facebook.com/mamamommymom

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun party!!

    Btw, I stumbled this! Please stumble Jem Costume on Etsy back.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a great time!

    ...and I just stumbled your post! Here is a link to mine: http://www.wicked-wicker.com/2011/06/show-them-some-love.html

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow...what FUN!! Great post!

    Stumbled you...my post is: http://keenlykristin.com/2011/06/summer-of-kristin-the-crop-of-the-crest/

    Thanks!
    Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a great party!

    I stumbled you. My post is http://booksyourkidswilllove.blogspot.com/2011/06/have-kid-book-reviewer-at-home.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks like one great party.
    Congrats to your folks!

    Stumbled you, my post is: http://www.mapleleafmommy.com/2011/06/review-story-about-ping-scholastic.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi. I'm a new GFC follower and I stumbled your post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, that must be the party of the century!


    Thank you for participating in last week’s Wednesday Window @ Frugality Is Free. I hope you’ll stop by to link up your favorite blog post this week as well.

    ReplyDelete