Friday, June 10, 2011

Pet Peeve - Sales Calls

Normally I don't mind when we get people calling in to work to try to sell us something. I usually just politely say "We are not interested at this time, please remove our company name from your list, Thank you" and then hang up. But today I got the most annoying "non-sales person" call ever.

First, he asked for someone who hasn't worked for the company for several years. That immediately throws up red flags because people who call that we actually want to talk to, know who works here and who doesn't. I let him know that the person he wanted to speak to was no longer with the company and may I ask what the call is regarding so that I may direct his call. He says "certainly you may ask me that" (really? I wasn't asking for your f**king permission) then he said that he wanted to speak to a principal (which we don't have at our location, they work in our other two offices in different cities). I said that we do not have any principals in the office today and politely asked him again what the phone call was regarding so that I could send him to the correct person and he said "you certainly may ask me what the phone call is regarding" (now I'm starting to get really annoyed and it's really hard for me to keep my voice from showing it) and let me know that they had created a **FREE** 7 page website for us and would like to send it to a principal to review and that "we might as well just do it because after all, it's free". After his little shpeel I told him thank you for the offer but that we were not interested at this time and then I hung up before he could say anything more.

I don't know why this guy was super annoying to me. It might have been his arrogant tone of voice, or the fact that he basically was giving me permission to ask him what the call was regarding or that he more or less told me that if I didn't take him up on his free offer I was stupid. Am I the only one who gets sales people calling who are annoying? Is it because it's Friday and the last thing I want to do is listen to sales people talk for 5 minutes without taking a single breath? What are some of your stories of sales calls?


Image was taken from a google search and is from group7economicenglish2.blogspot.com.

10 comments:

  1. Hi! I’m your newest follower. Please stop by and follow back when you have a chance. If you’re ever interested in a blog makeover please let me know. Take a look at my portfolio and packages when you get a chance. I’m also hosting a blog hop today as well. Come add your blog when you get a chance if you haven’t already. Hope you are having a Sweet Week.

    A Mommy’s Sweet Blog Design
    Join us every Friday for our Blog Hop!

    Review and Giveaway Blog Directory
    If you feature Reviews and Giveaways come add your blog here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my old "big sister" use to have a whistle by the phone for the really rude ones lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when people try to tell me "it's FREE so you might as well"
    I'm like, NO...I don't want your service/product...no matter if it's free or not. Some people don't get that.
    Also, it's a big red flag when they call and ask for me by name, yet say my name incorrectly. If you are going to "pretend" to know me by saying my name, then at least say my name correctly!

    Sometimes when someone just goes on and on and on trying to get me to buy or commit to something...I just hand the phone over to my two year old. Then they finally hang up.

    I saw your link on the weekend blog hop -- I'm already a follower of your blog :)

    Katrina
    They All Call Me Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, my guess is it was probably the arrogant tone throwing you off, that definitely would have done it for me! Gross; hate sales calls in general :|

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh. That's SUPER annoying.

    Stumbled across your blog and love it!

    - S from Following the Walkers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh That would have so made me made too. That is arrogant. Arrrgghh. Rude people stink! ;-)I hope you have a blessed weekend

    Valerie @ My-2-Cents

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooooo, I DETEST those kinds of calls. They call even when you're on the "do not call" list! And of course when you ask them for their supervisor, they immediately hang up. So nowadays, if it's a number I don't recognize, I don't answer.
    I don't work out of my home but that was just plain rude of him. I hope he got the message. ;)

    I'm a new GFC follower from the Spotlight Saturday Blog Hop and I hope to see you on my blog!

    Diversity Unlimited
    http://diversity-unlimited.blogspot.com/

    Odahingum

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hopping around! Come follow me too? Weidknecht.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Totally agree with you on this post! Following from say hi Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would annoy me too! After calls like that I always end up asking myself why I don't just hang up? I'm trying not be rude but really, when I say no thank you 3 times ENOUGH is ENOUGH!

    Stumbled you back!

    ReplyDelete