Tuesday, July 5, 2011

6 Week Summer Marketing Class

I don't have much to write about today. I have a post coming about how to change the alternator in a car later on this week (definitely put a damper on my 4th of July weekend to say the least). And I still haven't figured out how to upload the videos from the retirement party (I think I need some specific software but I'm not sure) so instead of just not posting, I thought I would give my opinion on the online summer course I am taking as part of my AA in marketing.

To start things off:
This summer I enrolled in a Marketing class at one of the community colleges in the area. I'm planning on getting my AA in Marketing and then going on to get my bachelor's in Business with an emphasis in Marketing once I'm finished. In order for me to move towards my AA I needed to take some summer classes and unfortunately only was able to get into one (budget cuts created a terrible surge in students and not enough teachers/classes to fit the students in). Luckily one teacher was kind enough to add everyone on the waitlist and take on the extra work associated with adding 40 extra students to an already packed schedule of 120 students (that's crazy for a 6 week class!). We are currently in Week 5 now and there are things that I love and hate about taking a 6 week online course.

Things I love:
It is not difficult. A class that is only 6 weeks isn't filled with assignments and homework which is exactly what I wanted for a summer course, just not what I wanted for my brain.
It is a quick class that won't take up my entire summer and won't take up my days with studying.
The load is extremely light compared to regular term courses. I can get my quizzes and assignments completed in about 20 minutes (for all of them, not each).
It is easy to get an A if you just read the chapters which are very short. Maybe it's so easy for me because I am very interested in marketing, but I also don't find the information to be difficult to comprehend.
The teacher is quick on grading and giving feedback so I know about how much effort I need to put into the rest of the assignments and quizzes in order to get an A in the class.
It is so easy that I set the curve on quizzes and assigments.
It makes me remember why I dislike attending courses because at minimum, half of the class will be comprised of drunk, high, or just plain stupid individuals. At least with an online course I don't have to sit there listening (or smelling) those people. (I have a problem with people who don't put in the work and just think they can coast by with a C). This could also go under Things I hate :)
I can do all of this in my sweat pants, unshowered, no makeup, bare bones self. And I don't have to make anyone miserable sitting next to them telling them I'm sorry for not showering that day and that I forgot to put on deodorant (I kid, I don't really do that but you get the picture. I love doing all the work at home with my kitty on my lap snoozing away).

    Things I hate:
    It is not difficult. I want to be challenged and have my brain hurt from thinking so hard. This class does not make me think. At all. I just open the book, do the quiz in the back (the answers are in the back of the book too) and then do the quiz online. Easy peasy.
    It is difficult to retain the information that is assigned because the quizzes are verbatim from the quizzes at the end of each chapter in the book. Photographic memory would come in handy here.
    It is difficult to respond to classmate discussion posts when it is clear that they have not read the chapters and do not understand what is being asked of them. It makes it very difficult for me to fulfill my assignment (we are required to each post a discussion about a specific topic in the book and to reply to one other classmate's discussion topic with an intelligent post. We get graded based on the content of our postings and responses).
    The assignments and quizzes can be completed in about 20 minutes. I don't feel like I am really learning anything since everything we are tested and graded on is basically verbatim out of the textbook.

      All in all, I can't say I am displeased with this course. Being a lower division class I can't really expect it to be challenging. Most people are taking it only to fulfill a requirement for their GED and I can understand those people not really exerting themselves to get the best grade possible. It also hasn't taken up much of my summer at all really. Once I get into more of the core marketing courses I am willing to bet that those students will be like me and will be very passionate about learning the material and getting good marks on assignments and quizzes/tests. So for one more week I will just have to endure an easy class and just be thankful that it wasn't a super packed 6 weeks with loads of assignments and homework to do. As much as I have complained about this course I really shouldn't be complaining at all. I am fortunate enough to be able to enroll in courses and at least I didn't get a teacher from hell. :)

      7 comments:

      1. Stopping by from FMBT to say hello.
        Have a great Tuesday!
        POSH
        http://poshonabudget.com/2011/07/deal-seeking-tuesday-more-restaurant-freebies.html

        ReplyDelete
      2. I'm your newest follower from the Follow Me Back Tuesday Blog Hop! Come check out me blog at: http://adventuresofathriftymommy.blogspot.com/

        Have a happy Tuesday!

        ReplyDelete
      3. good luck w/ the alternator.....I've had a couple of them putz out on me. FMBT brought me here.

        ReplyDelete
      4. Hi i'm a new follower from Tuesday Train blog hop :)
        http://clairejustineoxox.blogspot.com/

        ReplyDelete
      5. Thank you for following and for the wonderful comment...I am glad you enjoyed my post on characteristics of a good blog.....following back...

        ReplyDelete
      6. I feel ya, I've taken a couple of courses at the local community college and wish they went a little deeper!!
        I'm a new follower! I found your link on Paisley Passions Wandering Wednesday Blog Hop.

        Brenda
        http://www.piggygiggles.com

        ReplyDelete
      7. Marketing is a great area and it's even better if you get the right professor who truly loves it!Following you from the Alexa Hop and hoping you can return the love. You can find me at Yankee Texan Mom or Mama's Money Tree

        ReplyDelete