Monday, October 19, 2015

Learning to Sew

Over a year ago I found a brand new sewing machine at an estate sale. I was thinking about seriously learning how to sew and the price was too good to pass up. I've had little walmart sewing machines and could make pillow cases but I'd never tried anything else.

For a while I've been seeing beautiful, lightweight scarves and thought, I can make those! So I went to Joann's and picked out some fabric and decided this weekend I was going to try making some scarfs.

The first scarf I made I measured completely wrong. It turned out ok but it's too short to double up. I think I'll be able to use a brooch to pin it so it lays right. I might try making a new one at the right length next weekend.



The second scarf I made is for Halloween. I totally sewed it the wrong way but I think it looks ok. The skulls stand out and I like the rough edges around them.



The third scarf is on the new rack my hubby made me today. It's blue chevrons and is for my sister for xmas.



I had a lot of fun sewing these over the weekend. I learned quite a bit as well, like how hard it is to work with lightweight material! I still need to learn how to cut straight when there aren't obvious markers. But I think each scarf I made got progressively better than the last one. Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment